The Pavilion at Bisley

The Pavilion is located on the world renowned Bisley Camp. 

Bisley is one of the oldest shooting facilities in the world and one of the most well known. With its collection of Victorian clubhouses, steeped in tradition and surrounded by nature, there is nowhere quite like Bisley.

The Pavilion was built in 1924 as was part of the NRA's relocation from Wimbledon Common and with its quirky rooms, has retained some of its splendid Victorian architecture. 



A brief history of Bisley

Bisley Camp has been the home of the National Rifle Association (NRA) and numerous other rifle and clay shooting clubs since 1890. This rich and intriguing history has evolved over time with Queen Victoria opening the first annual rifle meeting at Wimbledon back in 1860. She fired the inaugural shot at the first rifle meeting on 2nd July that year and this event is still very much alive in the form of the annual Prize Meeting (the Imperial) which includes the Queen’s Prize.

Bisley Camp itself is an historic location with many fine examples of Colonial style architecture and a plethora of traditional lodge buildings taking the visitor back to a long-gone era. Many of these are listed buildings with conservation orders protecting them.

The estate has over 3000 acres with an abundance of natural woodland, which is home to many protected species on a site of special scientific interest. You may even be lucky enough to see one of the large herd of red deer that currently enjoy sharing the site with us.

Bisley Pavilion

The history of the Pavilion

The Pavilion, together with wood and canvas offices and the famous clock tower, were brought from Wimbledon and built at Bisley.

The London and South Western Railway Company, which operated the Waterloo to Southampton line, built a spur from Brookwood Station to serve the Camp and the light tramway was re-laid to connect camp and ranges. The line was opened on 12 July 1890, when it was first used by the Royal train which carried the Prince and Princess of Wales for the opening of the first Bisley Meeting.


Spot our beautiful glass motif as you enter our Pavilion reception.

Bisley Pavilion 1965